Strength through diversity.
We ensure high academic standards and a vibrant international community through the careful selection of motivated and talented students. We admit suitably qualified students of either gender and welcome students of all races, nationalities and ethnic origins.
In accepting a student to StGIS, we consider:
- commitment to the mission and values of St. Gilgen International School.
- the applicant’s potential to benefit from the educational programme.
- the capability of the school to meet the educational needs of the applicant.
- linguistic ability in English.
- the personality and motivation to give one’s best and to share experiences and talents with others.
- willingness to abide by school policies confirmed by teachers and students, as well as mandated by Austrian law.
- fulfilment of the school’s financial and medical requirements.
Although the ideal time to join St. Gilgen International School is at the start of the academic year, we operate on a rolling admission policy whereby students may be enrolled throughout the school year.
All applicants are placed according to their age group. Only in extraordinary circumstances and at the discretion of the school, a student might be placed into a different grade level.
Beginners of English, or students with limited English language skills can begin in the primary or middle phases. These students will be supported with a programme of intensive English (ESL) in coordination with the other academic subjects. However, applicants to Grade 10 and above should be proficient in written and spoken English.
Our Open Day allow visitors to meet the people who make our school so special. Guided tours of the school will be available, allowing you to experience first hand.
Arrange a school tour
A wide range of activities will show, demonstrating our strong links with the local community and our underlying international outlook and service ethos.
Please drop by.
Please feel free to schedule a visit to our campus. We would be delighted to welcome you, give you a guided tour of our facilities and share a small insight into life and learning at our beautiful school.
Where such a visit is genuinely impossible due to geographical location or other factors then alternative arrangements may be made, but a visit to the school is to the benefit of all parties and remains our strong preference.
Making an application
Please submit the following:
- completed and signed application form
- school Reports / official school transcripts from the last three years (translated into English if required and certified as a correct translation)
- a copy of the student’s passport
- motivation letter
- letter of recommendation from the applicant’s current school
- copies of certificates of achievement in music, theatre, art, sports, outdoor education, leadership, service/charity work, etc.
- Payment of the €250 application fee (€270 from 1st September 2023)
Arrange a visit
If you can imagine your child learning here, the best way to find out more is to arrange a trial day. We welcome prospective students and parents to join us to experience what life is like at St. Gilgen International School. A trial day consists of the following elements:
- an interview with the Head of School
- a tour of the school
- placement testing for English language and Mathematics
- attending a range of classes
- participating in an afternoon of activities
- staying overnight in the boarding house (for boarding students only)
Primary Trial Days
We can arrange a trial day for your child on most school days, but the best time to join us is for our Primary Open Days when we invite a whole class to come and experience St. Gilgen International School.
Tuition fee invoices will be issued at a time commensurate with the agreed start date. Tuition fees must be paid before the student begins.
You will need to be in possession of the following documents:
- signed contract supplied by the school and Power of Attorney
- proof that the fees are paid
- copy of a valid health insurance policy in Austria
- valid passport
- birth certificate (translated into either English or German)
- photographs according to EU guidelines
- Admissions and Fee Policy Information
Admissions and Fee Policy Information.
Parents will be provided with a copy of our admissions and fee policy upon request or following receipt of a completed application.
All documents should be submitted in English (the school’s language of instruction). Where an application is being made with or through an independent educational agency, this must be declared formally at the time of making the first initial application. Later asserted agency linkages (either by an applicant’s parents or by an agency) will not be accepted.
Parents of students without an EU passport are responsible for arranging their own educational visa through their nearest Austrian Embassy. Please consider that this process may take up to 3 months, depending on nationality.
If you have any further questions about the application process, pleases contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Fee Schedule 2023/2024
Application Fee: €250 (€270 from 1st September 2023)
Enrolment Fee: €2,500
Deposit (refundable): €10,000 (Boarding student), €5,000 (Day student)
Boarding Students – Annual Fees:
Boarding Student (Grade 7, 8): € 58,800
Boarding Student (Grade 9, 10): € 64,500
Boarding Student (Grade 11, 12): € 66,000
Day Students – Annual Fees:
Day Student (Grade 4, 5): € 28,600
Day Student (Grade 6): € 30,800
Day Student (Grade 7, 8): € 36,500
Day Student (Grade 9, 10): € 42,000
Day Student (Grade 11, 12): € 43,800
Fees cover academic tuition, curriculum and enrichment trips and activities. For day students this includes school lunches and for boarding students this includes accommodation and all other meals. Please note there are a small number of additional costs including uniform, a laptop, Salzburg bus shuttle, examination fees and appropriate graduation fees.
Show us your best.
St. Gilgen International School offers a generous scholarship program for exceptional students. To apply for a scholarship, students must submit their previous three academic reports and write a letter of motivation addressed to the Head of School. The letter of motivation, written by the applicant, should note their skills, talents & achievements and state why they think they should receive a scholarship to StGIS. This letter should not be more than two sides of A4. Proven excellence in areas such as the arts, music, theatre, sports or outdoor adventure, leadership and service/charity work will be viewed favourably. All scholarships are reviewed annually.
The applicant’s parents will need to clearly indicate the extent of the financial contribution they can commit to during the period of their son/daughter’s education at St. Gilgen International School.
Please be aware that full scholarships are strictly limited to only the most exceptional of potential students. Most scholarships are partial scholarships. Scholarships are only awarded on entry. The scholarship application should reach us by mid-march before the relevant academic school year.